100 snaps in Hue, Vietnam ✈ Photo Journal

// Day 1 to day 14//
My overseas community project, Project Phoniksa, led me to explore the village schools, rural Hue, festivals, and many other sights and sounds no tour agency could ever hope to promise to us chirpy travellers. It is the most enriching experience i've ever had and i'll be eternally thankful for the opportunity. 
Disclaimer: this post may sound just a tad bit didactic and nostalgic.
Day 01: Send offs at the airport. A group photo with my committee, mum and boyfriend and it's time to jet set! Changi Airport, you have no idea how much i missed your toilets for 14 days.



Day 02: Intense heat aside, everything in our first school was bathed in golden sunlight. I still remember telling Belinda that this was the prettiest school i've ever seen. 



What seems to be a universal expression: is school over yet? Get me out of here the boredom is real ☹ Also a photo with our lovely volunteers who showed us how to have a good time, Viet-style. Shoutout to Lyn especially for teaching me how to count in Vietnamese(: 





Vietnamese Dim sum: probably the best dish i ate here. Silky soft rice 'kueh' topped with pork crisp, fried garlic and fish sauce.


Day 03: some say the folding of a paper crane represents a lifetime of friendship. When all these students have to give is paper, i'd say this is more precious than any gift i've ever received. Thank you.



Vietnam's budding cafe scene. Step aside Starbucks, this is what we call real coffee.


My favourite girls. You are so incredibly smart and i admire your diligence in learning English. It's been an absolute joy to teach you, and to learn from you in surprising and sweet ways. // Wont you paint me the colours of a thousand sunsets? Making wishes on paper lanterns in the Perfume River for Hue Festival. 








My wish for joy, laughter, love, safety, family and health. // Belinda. My hilariously sweet roomie. I miss nudging you awake in the mornings, telling you i forgot to bring my towel into the shower "Bel could you get my towel please?", and singing into the late nights.













Day 06-07: Rest and relaxation at Hue palace, Hoi An tourist town and a temple. The locals here are pretty superstitious and believe that you should never visit the temple with your significant other because it'll curse your relationship. Regardless, thank goodness Zhanteng was an entire timezone away while i was there(;













I love you guys, you were the fairy sprinkles on my hot fudge sundae. 







My Vietnam trip was comprised of a lot of 'can we stop for coconut ice cream?' because it was just so damn good over there.












Team Rebe and Beli ♡♡ / Co-chairs of the #sebsebfanclub




First time trying coconut coffee. I still liked coconut ice cream better hehe.



And meanwhile my boyfriend departed on Day 07 for Hue City as well, for a more rigorous programme of fence building and painting. 


Day 08-14: the rest was a pleasant blur as we settled into our routines.



Disclaimer: this stilt thing is not as easy as it seems. My record was a substantial two steps. // Visiting local businesses to understand how they function + taking photos for a new Hue tourism website.  












My girls. I am so proud of you and i wish you every happiness and success in life.




With the most adorable student, Duc, doubling up as your regular brainiac. He beat me at geography for god's sake.





A photo with the most mischievous boys in class. I miss reminding you to stop playing with your stationary already.





The best co-teacher anyone could ever ask for: Kovan(: 










Day 14: Departure. Bittersweet as always, when we balance our longing for home with the memories we've made. Though, the best part about memories is making them isn't it(:
Thank you Hue for the most enriching and eyeopening experience i've had. You've provided me with a good hefty dose of selflessness, thanksgiving and wonder. Till we meet again. XX


Comments

Popular Posts