an expose on the F&B industry: being an Awfully Chocolate girl



This is a post i've been meaning to do for a really, really, really long time, and i cannot believe i've only started crafting it. Still, better late than never, right?

Its all honesty from here onwards.

So i've been working at Ninethirty by Awfully Chocolate for about a month and a half now, and its taught me so much. Certainly more than i would've ever expected. The people I met, incredible, experiences unforgettable, skills absolutely pivotal. In one, or rather two words, its been a complete eye opener in ways I'd have never even dared to imagine.

Let's start from the beginning of my journey: a basic job inquiry. I was sick of going through online job searches (jobstreet I'm looking at you!) and i personally don't believe in pulling connections because relationships are never the same after that, and i actually prefer a company to want me based on what i can offer them, rather than through a favour. Pure and simple. I took a chance. Having already set my eyes on the F&B industry, i passed by EWF at Bugis Junction and directly asked the manager if they were hiring.

I really wasn't expecting him to give a ready "Yes", or cheerfully offer a glass of water with some forms to full out since they didn't have a "We're hiring" poster anywhere in sight. But that's exactly what they did, and frankly it left me slightly stunned. Lesson learnt: it doesn't hurt to take the initiative, and people may actually appreciate the fact that you did so. I would later learn that jobs under the awfully chocolate group prefer it if You are the proactive party; to seek out and arrange in interview yourself  by dropping by their headquarters, or doing what I just did. Pretty cool huh.

So through a definite blessing, i passed my group interview and managed to secure a job at their Katong branch. My first day was a Saturday, where i was on the floor. No, all you people, its not the JLo song, but an actual position in the F&B industry. The three posts at Ninethirty are:
1. The floor: bussing tables, taking orders, serving food
2. The Awfully Chocolate dessert bar
3. The coffee bar for baristas
I love the versatility here in the sense that there will always be something new to learn, and you're never bored.

The bad.
So back to my first day. In essence, what i ingrained that day (or even the first hour!) was this: F&B is not easy. Not at all. You are perpetually standing, customers all over the place are constantly seeking your attention, plates need to be cleared, tables sanitised, floors mopped, food serves asap once its placed on the counter. Saturdays in particular, are the absolute worst because its almost perpetually a full house.

The ugly.
On my first day i made a ton of mistakes. There were so many things to remember and a whole different system to adjust to. Not to mention how incredibly tiring it was carrying trays piled high with thick ceramic plates (oh why couldn't they be plastic), glasses and cutlery. I constantly felt incompetent, and i thought to myself: I expected it to be tough, but not this tough. Try remembering which menu items are gluten-free, how to describe the signature AC chocolate cake as well as the difference between a cocoa mocha and a mocha royale. I for one felt that it was all too overwhelming. There were a couple of times during my first week that i was on the verge of tears because of my mistakes and the pressure.

The silver lining: sticking to it!
I improved as a I worked there more and more. Not to mention how i was coached by the friendliest managers and the most endearing senior girls there, who were both patient and terrific at their job. Honestly, they could sell a refrigerator to an eskimo. Awfully Chocolate has a wonderful camaraderie between the staff: they operated like a tag-team where everyone had their part and tried as best as they could to help each other as well. I love the culture here, and how everyone always seems to be ready for a laugh. I guess I just got lucky to be part of this team.

Im still working at Awfully Chocolate. Im still making mistakes. But I'm still in love with my job. I've learnt so much: how to balance a whole stack of plates with one hand, how to appease disgruntled customers with a smile and joke even though my feet have died and died again from standing for 10 hours. I've learnt how to make my own coffee (though my latte art still sucks- but I'm working on it!), how to pipe well wishes on 6 inch cakes, and how patience and handwork can go a very long way. I know that theses skills I've picked up in the F&B industry will definitely come in handy in the future: no matter which which job i decide to pursue.

Working as a waitress has given me a fresh perspective, teaching me how to serve and more importantly, how to be a better customer the next time i dine out. I have a deep respect for my talented coworkers and this establishment. People tend to underestimate a job in this industry, especially since they only see the rosy side of things on Instagram when others take a flatlay of their meal. The latter I'm still guilty of, by the way.

I'm so thankful for all the experiences, stories and conversations i've had so far. Its been an exciting journey; one that shouldn't end anytime soon.



Comments

Popular Posts